The idea of the Reverse Advent Calendar Hamper Challenge is that instead of getting a treat everyday, you give something to those in need, an idea that we are adopting at Home-School Tutoring UK this year.
Set up a box at home, at work, in the classroom or in your home education group and make a big difference to a local family in need. Christmas is supposed to be a time for joy and celebration – but for too many people it’s becoming increasingly difficult, with more people than ever expected to need to use a food bank during the festive period. Will you join us?
This is a great activity to do with children and young people to develop empathy of those in need and also a sense of being able to help in with an issue in the community:
1. Together, with your children, research what your local food bank say they most need, or what food banks in general say that they need:
This in itself is an interesting topic of discussion. Can your children guess which items are needed by food banks and why (before you do the research)?
Is what is needed by food banks as you expected?
Here is a good link to start your research: Donate Food – The Trussell Trust
2. Create your list of 24 items for the food bank and add them to the Reverse Advent Calendar template.
3. Find a box or basket to fill with the items for the reverse advent calendar. Perhaps decorate it to make it look pretty?
4. Fill up your Reverse Advent Hamper.
If you are doing this as a group, then everyone can have a copy of the list and contribute. If you are doing it as a family or individually then you can buy things all at once or a few things each shop.
5. Take a photo of your reverse advent calendar food bank hamper and post on our Facebook or Instragram page for a chance to win your own hamper as well as Home-School Tutoring UK donating £30 cash to your local food bank (or a food bank of your choice).
6. Take your box of advent goodies to your local food bank.
7. Be proud of yourself for making a difference.
Below is an example template and a blank template for you to fill in. There are two options of A2 poster size and A4 size.
We look forward to seeing your photos and what you collect for those in need this Christmas.