Parlez-vous français? If you’re thinking about learning the language of love or need convincing why you should, take a look at our top 10 reasons for learning French!
1) French is spoken all over the world: over 275 million people speak French. It is the second most widely learned foreign language after English and the only language other than English to be spoken on 5 continents.
2) Along with English, French is a language that helps in finding a job: speaking both English and French can open up opportunities in the international job market.
3) French is a cultural language: French is the international language of cuisine, fashion, dance, visual art and architecture. Understanding French can help you identify with the culture that has influenced these spheres.
4) French is a language for travelling: France is one of the most visited countries with over 70 million visitors every year, and being able to speak French gives you a much more insightful travel experience. You can also have a fantastic holiday in French-speaking Canada, Switzerland, Africa, Monaco, the Seychelles and other French-speaking countries.
5) French is part of who you are! French gives English almost 50% of its vocabulary. After the Norman conquest of 1066, thousands of French words entered the British vocabulary.
6) French is a language that helps you learn other languages, especially Latin ones such as Spanish or Italian. These languages all share similarities and when you know one, you can soon understand the other.
7) French is an ‘official language’. French is the other official language (alongside English) of the UN, UNESCO, NATO, the International Olympic Committee and the International Red Cross.
8) Learning French opens up the world without even leaving the house! French is one of the top ten languages used on the internet and many French classic books, such as Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, Gustave Flaubert’s Madame Bovary, and Albert Camus’ L’Étranger are best read in their langue natale.
9) French can help you train and study, especially in areas such as law, international relations, the history of art, food and hospitality, tourism, cosmetology and fashion.
10) It’s the language of love! French is first and foremost, a beautiful, rich and melodious language that is a joy to learn.
Contact your Area Advisor if you’re interested in French tuition for any age or level, from preschool and primary school through to GCSE, A Level and undergraduate – or just for fun as an adult learner!